A Case Series of Virtual Histology Intravascular Ultrasound in Carotid Artery Stenting
- Volume 8 - Issue 8 - August 2011
- Posted on: 8/3/11
- 0 Comments
- 16492 reads
Brion M. Winston, MD,1 Gail Siewiorek, PhD,2 Ender Finol, PhD,2 Mark Wholey, MD1
- Lloyd-Jones D, Adams R, Carnethon M, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2009 update: A report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation 2009;119(3):480–486.
- Schwamm L, Fayad P, Acker JE 3rd, et al. Translating evidence into practice: A decade of efforts by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association to reduce death and disability due to stroke: A presidential advisory from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 2010;41(5):1051–1065.
- Diethrich EB, Ndiaye M, Reid DB. Stenting in the carotid artery: Initial experience in 110 patients. J Endovasc Surg 1996;3(1):42–62.
- Wholey MH, Jarmolowski CR, Eles G, Levy D, Buecthel J. Endovascular stents for carotid artery occlusive disease. J Endovasc Surg 1997;4(4):326–338.
- Yadav JS, Roubin GS, Iyer S, et al. Elective stenting of the extracranial carotid arteries. Circulation 1997;95(2):376–381.
- Yadav JS, Wholey MH, Kuntz RE, et al. Protected carotid-artery stenting versus endarterectomy in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2004;351(15):1493–1501.
- Gurm HS, Yadav JS, Fayad P, et al. Long-term results of carotid stenting versus endarterectomy in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2008;358(15):1572–1579.
- Brott TG, Hobson RW 2nd, Howard G, et al. Stenting versus endarterectomy for treatment of carotid-artery stenosis. N Engl J Med 2010 Jul 1;363(1):11–23. Epub 2010 May 26.
- Gray WA, Yadav JS, Verta P, et al. The CAPTURE registry: Predictors of outcomes in carotid artery stenting with embolic protection for high surgical risk patients in the early post-approval setting. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2007;70(7):1025–1033.
- Winston BM, Wholey MH. Which imaging modality is best for predicting stroke during carotid artery stenting? J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2011 Jun;52(3):299–305.
- Matter CM, Stuber M, Nahrendorf M. Imaging of the unstable plaque: How far have we got? Eur Heart J 2009;30(21):2566–2574.
- Schiro BJ, Wholey MH. The expanding indications for virtual histology intravascular ultrasound for plaque analysis prior to carotid stenting. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2008;49(6):729–736.
- Matsumoto S, Nakahara I, Higashi T, et al. Fibro-fatty volume of culprit lesions in virtual histology intravascular ultrasound is associated with the amount of debris during carotid artery stenting. Cerebrovasc Dis 2010;29(5):468–475.
- Zacharatos H, Hassan AE, Qureshi AI. Intravascular ultrasound: Principles and cerebrovascular applications. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2010;31(4):586–597.
- Hishikawa T, Iihara K, Ishibashi-Ueda H, et al. Virtual histology-intravascular ultrasound in assessment of carotid plaques: Ex vivo study. Neurosurgery 2009;65(1):146–152; discussion 152.
- Joan MM, Moya BG, Agustí FP, et al. Utility of intravascular ultrasound examination during carotid stenting. Ann Vasc Surg 2009;23(5):606–611.
- Diethrich EB, Pauliina Margolis M, Reid DB, et al. Virtual histology intravascular ultrasound assessment of carotid artery disease: The Carotid Artery Plaque Virtual Histology Evaluation (CAPITAL) study. J Endovasc Ther 2007;14(5):676–686.
- Irshad K, Millar S, Velu R, et al. Virtual histology intravascular ultrasound in carotid interventions. J Endovasc Ther 2007;14(2):198–207.
- Wehman JC, Holmes DR Jr, Ecker RD, et al. Intravascular ultrasound identification of intraluminal embolic plaque material during carotid angioplasty with stenting. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2006;68(6):853–857.
- Kubo T, Maehara A, Mintz GS, et al. The dynamic nature of coronary artery lesion morphology assessed by serial virtual histology intravascular ultrasound tissue characterization. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55(15):1590–1597.
- Abdel-Wahab M, Khattab AA, Liska B, et al. Relationship between cardiovascular risk as predicted by established risk scores and coronary artery plaque composition as detected by virtual histology intravascular ultrasound analysis: The PREDICT pilot study. EuroIntervention 2008;3(4):482–489.
- Missel E, Mintz GS, Carlier SG, et al. In vivo virtual histology intravascular ultrasound correlates of risk factors for sudden coronary death in men: Results from the prospective, multi-centre virtual histology intravascular ultrasound registry. Eur Heart J 2008 Sep;29(17):2141–2147. Epub 2008 Jul 2.
- Hong MK, Mintz GS, Lee CW, et al. Comparison of virtual histology to intravascular ultrasound of culprit coronary lesions in acute coronary syndrome and target coronary lesions in stable angina pectoris. Am J Cardiol 2007;100(6):953–959.
- Sawada T, Shite J, Shinke T, et al. Relationship between high sensitive C-reactive protein and coronary plaque component in patients with acute coronary syndrome: Virtual Histology study [in Japanese]. J Cardiol 2006;48(3):141–150.
- Kubo T, Matsuo Y, Hayashi Y, et al. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein and plaque composition in patients with stable angina pectoris: A virtual histology intravascular ultrasound study. Coron Artery Dis 2009;20(8):531–535.
- Hong YJ, Jeong MH, Choi YH, et al. Plaque components at coronary sites with focal spasm in patients with variant angina: Virtual histology-intravascular ultrasound analysis. Int J Cardiol 2010 Oct 29;144(3):367–372.
- Hong YJ, Jeong MH, Choi YH, et al. Plaque characteristics in culprit lesions and inflammatory status in diabetic acute coronary syndrome patients. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2009;2(3):339–349.
- Qian J, Maehara A, Mintz GS, et al. Impact of gender and age on in vivo virtual histology-intravascular ultrasound imaging plaque characterization (from the global Virtual Histology Intravascular Ultrasound [VH-IVUS] registry). Am J Cardiol 2009;103(9):1210–1214.