Lessons Learned from the Case Series of Carotid Artery Stenting in a Community Hospital
- Volume 8 - Issue 7 - July 2011
- Posted on: 7/6/11
- 1 Comments
- 10648 reads
Mateen F. Abidi, MD,1 Nicolai Mejevoi, MD,1 Marc Cohen, MD,1,2 Bruce Brener, MD,1 Najam Wasty, MD, FACC1
The authors also acknowledge Gail Baker, APN,1 for her efforts and contributions to the research.
- Yadav JS, Wholey MH, Kuntz RE, et al. Protected carotid-artery stenting versus endarterectomy in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2004;351:1493–1501.
- Mas JL, Chatellier G, Beyssen B, et al. EVA-3S Investigators. Endarterectomy versus stenting in patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosis. N Engl J Med 2006;355:1660–1671.
- SPACE Collaborative Group, Ringleb PA, Allenberg J, Brückmann H, et al. 30 day results from the SPACE trial of stent-protected angioplasty versus carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients: A randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 2006;368:1239–1247.
- ACC/ACP/SCAI/SVMB/SVS clinical competence statement on vascular medicine and catheter-based peripheral vascular interventions: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association/American College of Physicians Task Force on Clinical Competence (ACC/ACP/SCAI/SVMB/SVS writing committee to develop a clinical competence statement on peripheral vascular disease). J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;44:941–957.
- North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators. Beneficial effect of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with high-grade carotid stenosis. N Engl J Med 1991;325:445–453.
- Hobson RW 2nd, Howard VJ, Roubin GS, et al. Credentialing of surgeons as interventionalists for carotid artery stenting: Experience from the lead-in phase of CREST. J Vasc Surg 2004;40:952–957.
- Inzitari D, Eliasziw M, Gates P, et al. The causes and risk of stroke in patients with asymptomatic internal-carotid-artery stenosis. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators. N Engl J Med 2000;342:1693–1700.
- Antithrombotic Trialists’ Collaboration. Collaborative meta-analysis of randomised trials of antiplatelet therapy for prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke in high-risk patients. BMJ 2002;324:71–86.
- Albers GW, Amarenco P, Easton JD, et al. Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for ischemic stroke: The Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest 2004;126:483S–512S.
- A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE). CAPRIE Steering Committee. Lancet 1996;348:1329–1339.
- Diener HC, Bogousslavsky J, Brass LM, et al. Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2004;364:331–337.
- Diener HC, Sacco RL, Yusuf S, et al. Effects of aspirin plus extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel and telmisartan on disability and cognitive function after recurrent stroke in patients with ischaemic stroke in the Prevention Regimen for Effectively Avoiding Second Strokes (PRoFESS) trial: A double-blind, active and placebo-controlled study. Lancet Neurol 2008;7:875–884.
- Diener HC, Cunha L, Forbes C, et al. European stroke prevention study. Dipyridamole and acetylsalicylic acid in the secondary prevention of stroke. J Neurol Sci 1996;143:1–13.
- Law MR,Wald NJ, Rudnicka AR. Quantifying effect of statins on low density lipoprotein cholesterol, ischaemic heart disease, and stroke: Systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2003;326:1407–1408.
- Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: The Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S). Lancet 1994;344:1383–1389.
- Sacks FM, Pfeffer MA, Moye LA, et al. The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels. Cholesterol and Recurrent Events Trial investigators. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1001–1009.
- The Stroke Prevention by Aggressive Reduction in Cholesterol Levels (SPARCL) Investigators. N Engl J Med 2006;355:613–615.
- Lonn E, Yusuf S, Arnold MJ, et al. Homocysteine lowering with folic acid and B vitamins in vascular disease. N Engl J Med 2006;354:1567–1577.
- Randomised trial of endarterectomy for recently symptomatic carotid stenosis: Final results of the MRC European Carotid Surgery Trial (ECST). Lancet 1998;351:1379–1387.
- Biller J, Feinberg WM, Castaldo JE, et al. Guidelines for carotid endarterectomy: A statement for healthcare professionals from a Special Writing Group of the Stroke Council, American Heart Association. Circulation 1998;97:501–509.
- Gray WA, Yadav JS, Verta P, et al. The CAPTURE registry: Predictors of outcomes in carotid artery stenting with embolic protection for high surgical risk patients in the early post-approval setting. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2007;70:1025–1033.
- Verzini F, Cao P, De Rango P, et al. Appropriateness of learning curve for carotid artery stenting: An analysis of periprocedural complications. J Vasc Surg 2006;44:1205–1211.
- Roffi M, Greutmann M, Eberli FR, et al. Starting a carotid artery stenting program is safe. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2008;71:469–473.
- Friedell ML, Sandler BJ, Andriole JG, et al. Carotid angioplasty and stenting is a safe and durable procedure in a community hospital. Am Surg 2007;73:543-546; discussion 546–547.